Apply each year
Shortlisted for the final
Acts perform on Green Man’s Rising stage each year
‘Green Man has an established reputation for identifying and developing music talent, and its history of creating headliners gives it significant influence in the music industry internationally. [It’s] a globally known Welsh brand and is seen as a very important showcase for contemporary Welsh music, arts and culture.’
Emma Banks, Co-Head & Co-Head International Touring, Creative Artist Agency
Making your mark as an emerging band in today’s industry is tough business. Heading into its 17th year, Green Man Trust Music Development is a unique and established programme that gives the most promising new acts a step up and sets them on their way to becoming the headliners of tomorrow.
Supporting 125 music creators each year, we offer bands the opportunity to perform the biggest gig of their careers to date, receive mentoring from an expert team of professionals and access a network of key industry influencers that can take their career to the next level. It all happens under the umbrella of Green Man, one of the most critically acclaimed festivals in the UK.
Professionally, we support bands to:
- Showcase their music in front of large, international audiences both live and digitally;
- Test their mettle and hone their creativity and craft;
- Be introduced to new and significant professional networks;
- Develop with the backing of a highly respected music festival;
- Be mentored by a leading creative team, technicians and industry experts;
- Improve and expand their promotional assets.
Green Man opened doors that were previously closed, giving us the opportunity to expand a bit more, develop our sound and image over the course of the pandemic (…) we have something to aim for next year
Cameron Davey, The Lounge Society
The programme encompasses 3 strands:
- Green Man Rising is an open-access competition that receives over 3,000 submissions every year, having become one of the most highly respected opportunities for up-and-coming bands in the UK. 5 finalists are selected by public vote to perform the live final, which is streamed online on Green Man’s digital channels and judged by an expert panel of top industry tastemakers – agents, managers, promoters, journalists and bloggers which have included the likes of MOJO, Bella Union, Moshi Moshi, Kilimanjaro, NME, Domino Records, Rough Trade, Heavenly Records, Beggars, ATC, The Guardian among others. The final is professionally produced to give bands a high-quality promo asset that they use for their PR and pitching to labels and bookers. The winner opens Green Man’s iconic 12,000-cap Mountain Stage and gets a professional photoshoot.
- Green Man’s 2,000-cap Rising stage is a gateway for new talent to be discovered by audiences and industry tastemakers. It showcases 20 of the most exciting emerging bands from across UK. Rising competition finalists make the bill alongside a carefully curated line-up. We’ve seen Rising acts go on to receive Mercury Prize and Best Album of the Year nominations, appear in Rolling Stone’s and Maida Vale Studios and sign to Domino, Rough Trade and Moshi Moshi. 2019 Rising finalists, PVA have since made appearances on KEXP, toured nationally with Shame, Dry Cleaning and Goat Girl and have recently launched their debut album BLUSH under Ninja Tune. Nuha Ruby Ra made headlines as 2020’s winner and has since featured on Steve Lamacq’s ‘ones to watch’ and toured the UK, US and EU supporting Yard Act, Warmduscher and Bambara. 2021 winner, Teddy Hunter got a residency at Prah studios and a Maida Vale live session in 2022.
- Our programme also offers curatorial experience. Each year, we partner with a Wales-based artist, record label or music venue to programme the 5,000-cap Settlement Stage over three days. The line-up is a showcase of Welsh new music. Past partners include Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog, Toby Hay, Cambrian Records, Club Ifor Bach and PYST.
Rising is an excellent way for new talent to become noticed and benefit from development opportunities. Participating artists perform at the festival in front of an audience of thousands. This in itself is unique and of huge benefit to the acts. It provides them with a platform in a way that is rare in this day and age.
Phil Alexander, Former MOJO Editor-In-Chief
The exposure to really great tastemakers in music I feel will help reach the right labels for the project going forward, and the bursary definitely helps ease some financial struggle.
Nuha Ruby Ra, Green Man Rising winner 2020
[Rising] gave me more confidence in where my music could head. (…) This has been a big eye-opener for me to expand my performances and be more expressive on stage. (…) The exposure to a large unknown audience, to major industry tastemakers, the support of the festival and the Green Man Trust over the past year, and a personal pride of being the winner of a very well-respected festival slot are invaluable!
Teddy Hunter, Green Man Rising winner 2021
Winner 2021, Teddy Hunter in session at Green Man Rising live final…
Jerry in session at GM19…
Siobhan Wilson in session at GM17…